I OPPOSE HB1850 because:
- it would allow companies like Airbnb to collect and remit taxes without any way of verifying that the amount they remit is anywhere near what the vacation rental owners owe;
- it doesn’t hold companies like Airbnb responsible for making sure these vacation rental listings are legal or illegal;
Illegal vacation rentals are a growing problem in our state, and this bill does nothing to fix it. They’re a problem not just because they aren’t paying their fair share of taxes, but also because:
- Illegal vacation rentals take away affordable housing for local people;
- Illegal vacation rentals hurt our economy by directly competing with full-service hotels that provide good, local jobs;
- Illegal vacation rentals are essentially illegal hotel operations in our own backyards. This impacts safety, parking, and the overall character of our neighborhoods.